I’ve chatted up with people from around the world who work from home and asked them to finish this sentence:
You know you work from home when…
Below are the funny (and relatable) responses I received! I’m wondering how many of these accurately capture your day, too.
The 13 Signs You Know You Work From Home
1. You mute conference calls as you vacuum, cook, wash dishes, or do laundry
2. You hope no one requests a video call because you haven’t washed your face or brushed your hair (or your teeth)
3. You hope there is no surprise mail package delivered as you’re in a face mask or pore strip
4. You find yourself wearing a nice blouse, with yoga pants, pajamas, or sweats
5. You shower and get ready at 4pm, in preparation for happy hour with friends coming from their 8-5
6. You remind yourself to get up and go for a walk because you have logged in a whopping 2,000 steps on your FitBit and it’s 3 in the afternoon.
7. You take a nap if it is a slow day, or find yourself watching Netflix while working on Excel sheets
8. You can’t recall what day of the week it is
9. You lost weight because no one brings you donuts anymore
10. You look forward to going to Starbucks or a local coffee shop for human interaction
11. You practice speaking to yourself before you need to make a call… warm up those vocal cords!
12. Your dog only barks when you’re on an important call
13. Your cat just sent an email with gibberish and an abrupt ending
How do I find a job that allows me to work from home?
When sharing this list, I’ve gotten many responses ranging from, “Whoa, that’s awesome! I want to work remotely!” to “I could never do that… but how can I find a remote job?”
Here are some great resources to find your next job you can get away with wearing your pajamas to:
Remote Jobs – wide range of careers (technical and non-technical)
Flex Jobs– need to pay subscription but has large listings
Remote OK– primarily technical jobs
Angel Jobs– list of startups, often many that are open to remote work
Remote– customer service, writing, translation, etc.
UpWork – freelance assignments on project basis
CareerBuilder’s Remote Jobs – listings of all positions open to remote locations